Linguistic mediation, adjacent skills, use of TM/CAT tools
Since 2000, I have been working as Freelance Specialist Translator. I am experienced in translating from the source language Englisch into my native language German. Translations into the target language English are proofread by native English speakers to ensure highest quality.
Translation, Localization, Transcreation (English, German)
- Language pair: English <> German
- Professional experience: >20 years / approx. 4.0M words
- Scope: Translation, localization, transcreation, Post Editing
- Focus: Web Content, Digital Marketing,SEO, PR, IT, technical (mainly printed circuit boards, general / mechanic engineering, automation, safety), public administration (German officialese)
- Professional use of CAT tools since 2009 (mainly SDL Trados Studio)
- Document formats: manuals (MS Office, Framemaker and more), online help, HTML / XML pages ...
- Transcreation: Textual refinement/recreation of translations, cultural adaption, rephasing based on initial translations
Full member of BDÜ (Federal Association of Interpreters and Translators)
Qualification as Translator
_Base: University degree in Linguistics (American Studies M.A.)
_Base: Professional training as Consultant for New Media
_Plus: BDÜ membership (= verification of my translational abilities at professional level)
_Skills: Very good terminological knowledge of above mentioned fields of expertise
_Tools: Comprehensive experiences with Translation Memory tools (SDL Trados, XTM, Across)
Be at home in various language worlds: At the latest as a tenth-grader, I was totally overwelmed by the intellectual possibility to able to speak & write, think & feel in three language spaces (German, English, Latin). My native talent for languages made me a top latin pupil and opened up my sustainably sharpened eye for the linguistic complexities of a higly developed cultural (foreign) language. The literary and linguistic majors of my degrees (American/Russian Studies) deepened this ability on an academic level, whereby the foundation for my my profession as language mediator, namely translating, was established.